Monday, April 20, 2009

Stand Up for Something

Mena, the main character in Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande, is starting high school. Instead of anticipation, she is feeling dread. After a letter she writes leads to everyone she has ever known and cared about, including her church, being sued, she is left without friends or a church. Even her parents aren't very cordial to her. Things start to look up when she gets to her biology class where her assigned lab partner is someone she's never met before--a chance to start fresh. Plus the teacher makes biology fun and compelling. But when the members of her former church youth group decide to take a stand against the teaching of evolution, Mena has to decide whether or not to take sides publicly.

I really liked this young adult book and would recommend it for middle and high school. It would be a great discussion book about standing up for what you believe in, thinking for yourself and telling the truth no matter what the cost.

Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature, by Robin Brande, 978-0-440-24030-3

Made me think of:
What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook

1 comment:

Meg said...

Hi Sara,

I came acros this post this morning- I am Robin Brande's publicist - I'm thrilled to hear that you liked the book. I would love to send you an ARC of Robin's newest book, FAT CAT. It is even better than EVOLUION!

Random House Children's Books is expanding our lists of bloggers and would love to work with you. Please email me at maobrien@randomhouse.com if you are interested.

Warm regards,
Meg O'Brien

PS. I'm sorry to post this as a comment on your blog. I couldn't find your email address anywhere.