Monday, March 9, 2009

Couldn't Put It Down

Blade: Playing Dead by Tim Bowler, that is. Blade is a street kid with a history that is slowly but not completely revealed as the story moves along. Some time in his past, he did something that has caused him to lay low and not call attention to himself. But now his past is catching up to him. As he narrates his tale, you are drawn to him even when he refuses to paint himself in a flattering light. And even if he were completely unappealing the nonstop action would propel you through the story. I don't think I've ever finished a book feeling quite so breathless. Or with quite so many questions. I hear there will be a sequel. That is a very good thing.
Blade: Playing Dead, by Tim Bowler, 978-0-399-52186-3, coming May 2009

Reminded me of:
Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz somewhat but I can't think of another book off the top of my head with the same gritty, urban feel to it.

No comments: