Friday, December 19, 2008

Snowed In

A couple of months ago I read Let It Snow, a book of three interconnected stories by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle. Now that we have 8 inches of snow outside my doorstep it seems like a good time to post about it. The cover says it is three romances so I was expecting three romantic short stories with a snow theme to them but really it was much more than that. So why did I pick it up? To start with, I know not everyone likes short stories--I happen to love them. And then there were the three authors. I love everything John Green has published. And Maureen Johnson has never let me down either. I'd never read Lauren Myracle but my daughter really likes her. So all in all what did I have to lose? And then it turned out to be three stories that were linked together. How fun is that? I read the first one, Maureen Johnson's story about a girl on a train that gets stuck in the snow. Then I started on John Green's story about three friends driving out in the snow to meet a friend who is stranded in a restaurant full of cheerleaders--cheerleaders who had come from the stranded train. Then Lauren Myracle's sweet story about a well meaning but selfish girl who wants to get back together with her boyfriend--a guy who shows up on both the stranded train and at the restaurant too. All the stories were satisfying. If you can walk to your local bookstore or library in the snow, pick up a copy. Recommended for middle school and older.

Reminded me of:
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green but more PG
Fifteen or The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary or any of her other sweet teenage romances

No comments: